OMSI Star Party & teachers' workshop
OMSI staff is hosting a regional teacher workshop in Baker City on Saturday, April 15, 2017. The free professional development workshop will run from 5pm to 8pm at the Baker County Public Library in Baker City and a complementary public Star Party will run from 8pm-10pm at National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. Dinner will be provided to workshop participants.
The workshop is designed for late elementary and middle school teachers, after-school club leaders, scout and community group leaders and anyone interested in learning more about the night sky with students. The workshop will cover the following topics:
• How to host a star party for your students and families – logistics, equipment needs, resources, and expectations.
• Hands-on classroom activities related to NASA’s Science Mission Directorate – Earth sciences, planetary sciences, heliophysics, & astrophysics.
• Showcase of Explore Science: Earth & Space 2017 toolkit developed by National Informal STEM Education Network (NISE Net).
Participating teachers will be entered in a drawing for a free OMSI space science-related outreach program for their school or club!
To register, visit
Everyone is invited to join us for star gazing around 8pm at the National Historic Ore
gon Trail Interpretive Center!
- Telescopes provided.
- NHOTIC gates will open @ 7:30pm
- There will be no entry charge.
- This event is weather dependent and may be canceled if the sky is overcast.